WordPress Upgrade & Theme Update – October 2014
The University’s WordPress network was upgraded on Friday, Oct. 17th. The upgrades performed included an update to the core WordPress software and the release of University Themes version 1.8 for compatibility.
The upgrades also included a few new features:
Widgets can be used within sidebar areas of your site – edit them in WP Appearance–>Widgets.
- Testimonial Widget – add a quote from a student or faculty member to your sidebar – it will be formatted to match our global styles for testimonials.
- Donate Button Widget– add a custom donate button to your sidebar. By default the button text is “Make a Gift” and links to www.georgiasouthern.edu/donate. You can customize it by adding your own text and/or a custom donation link; you can also choose the button’s color.
Shortcodes are shortcuts you can use to add pre-styled elements to your pages. For instructions and sample usage, visit our Shortcodes page.
- Testimonials – use the new shortcode to insert a styled testimonial to any page or news post.
- RSS Feeds – you can now embed an RSS feed into a page.
- The Media Library has a new look – files are arranged in a grid layout now by default. You have the option to toggle it back to the standard list view.
- Videos – you can now preview embedded videos in the visual editor.
- Page Editor – the editor now expands to fit your content as you write and the formatting toolbar is “sticky” so it’s always visible at the top.
Don’t forget, if you need a quick overview or refresher of specific WordPress topics, all users have access to Video Tutorials within their WordPress site’s admin area. Just login to your website and look for the icon on the left-hand menu.
Posted in Updates